Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Very Rare Photo-- Wash Hung Up to Dry


Look closely. Yup, your eyes are not deceiving you. Yes, there's snow on the ground. Someone hung the wash outside on a beautiful, sunny, wintery day.

My mom and my sister are down in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri visiting some relatives. Yup, those are the people that hung up that wash. Relatives of ours.

I grew up helping my mom hang out the wash several times a week. We had a working dryer in the basement, yet my mom chose to hang up the wash on sunny days. She had a system: sheets were hung on the outside lines, our unmentionables were hidden on the inside lines. I used to grumble about having to go outside, gather up the dry clothes and help her fold them. Little did I realize that I was getting my daily dose of Vitamin D and fresh air, a combination that does a body good.

4 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

We hang our outside in the summer and in the warm, dry basement in the winter. We only use a dryer when I miss a tissue (Eeeew, tissue lint everywhere!) or if it's raining out.

My eldest hated hanging laundry so much that she wrote a wonderful persuasive speech for college on the perks and importance of using the electric dryer.

Karen Putz said...

Heh, heh, I can SO relate to your eldest!

~Shelia said...

Seems that your relatives are spitting distance from mine. My mom and dad both grew up around Farmington and Fredericktown, Mo.

As for drying stuff on the line... I can remember my grandmother using her clothes line, but I was very young when she still did that. Ah, memories!

Jacq said...

My grandmother always hung the "unmentionables" inside the pillowcases so that they couldn't be seen.

I rarely hang clothes outside but I do hang most of my own clothes in the basement since most can't go in the dryer. Kids clothes go in the dryer unless my husband feels inspired in the warm season.