Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Marlee Matlin--Still Dancing!


It's another week and Marlee Matlin is still kicking up her heels each week on Dancing with the Stars. I missed Monday's show as I was on a plane coming home from California. Last night, I spoke to a group of parents up north and came home just in time to see that Marlee and Fabian made it through another week. Just then, the dish went out due to a storm.

Last week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Marlee in her spare moment between practices. I asked Marlee a question about facing discrimination and she had this to say:

Face it head on (even with a smile) and show that what you've got goes way beyond the negative thoughts and words that people use to cover their ignorance. And if they put up a wall to block your path, just walk around it any way you can. Remember that the only "handicap" of being Deaf is the one that's in your head and not the one that people think is in your ears.


That's the reason Marlee gets my vote each week along with her amazing dancing talent.

The entire interview can be seen here:

Marlee Matlin Kicks Up Her Heels on Dancing with the Stars

11 comments:

bcmomtoo said...

I love Marlee. She seems like such a genuinely nice person, and funny, too. My son was watching an interview with her, and he said, "I like her, but her partner's kind of strange." I'm not sure I like him either, but Marlee makes him look good. She is doing so well! I missed Monday's show, too, but the one's I've seen have been really good.

That's so exciting that you got to interview her.

Karen Putz said...

Fookem and Bug have the show here:

http://gallery.mac.com/jflmad#100012

Bill Graham said...

Yes, Mary Clark sucked me in. BTW: I used your Steak N Shake story when I approached Culver's for possible funding. I said it was an example of non-service by a fast-food restaurant as opposed to Culver's progressive efforts.

Keep up the good work!

Bill G

Karen Putz said...

Yup, Bill, Culver's positively ROCKS!

Mikey said...

Well...

First of all, I was not impressed with Marlee when she first came out with her movie...

I'm like "blech".

When she won the Oscar, I said "Sarah Leeds won the Oscar, not Marlee" and I still think I'm right to this day.

In the past 5 years I noticed Marlee doing different things, some of stuff that I thought she would be crazy and yes she was crazy. But in a good way! I finally said "She's cool" when she played the pregnant mayor in the TV series "Picket Fences" and since then I enjoyed her work.

Now with the Dancing with the Stars, I thought she was WAY nuts for doing this stuff... I have to admit I love that show and for a Deaf woman to do it, impossible! I'm happy to say she's doing it! I have been voting for her and I STRONGLY encourage others to do the same.

Now with the Deafhood (I attended the workshop) going on in our community, Marlee is a shining example here... she is breaking down the barriers of "can't" and breaking down the barriers of "colonialism". Kudos to her and I hope she wins to the end! She will.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work. Requires QT 7.2.
http://gallery.mac.com/jflmad#100012

:-(

Unknown said...

Wow.. you did wonderful. Great Interview. Great job Karen. You are lucky that you get to meet her.

Jim :)

Nita said...

How did you ever get to meet her MM in the first place, Karen??!

Karen Putz said...

We did this interview via email. I have met Marlee only a few times-- once at a friend's house, at a picnic, a wedding and a deaf club. I've admired her work since she won the Oscar and my daughter enjoys her books. She's a great role model for my kids--showing them not to let anything stand in your way. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen.

Do you know if the show has changed the 6 call policy or if Marlee, herself is aware of the issue of calling through relay? I noticed they are now displaying that the call policy is on the website. She's got all of my votes! Great article! Karen

Karen said...

I haven't watched any of this season but I hope she stays on there long enough so I can see her dance.